SportsRiskIndex - How it works and the ”big picture” (28 posts)

Topic tags: new sports economy, sportsfolio, sportsriskindex, sri
  • Profile picture of Chris Rabalais Chris Rabalais said 3 years, 12 months ago:

The following link contains the actual daily MLB SRI data for the Arizona Diamondbacks during the 2007 season. This is the real data points used to verify the validity of the model by D.C. staff and the C.F.T.C.

Each daily figure represents the computed reset number and estimates the market value of the Arizona Diamondbacks in millions of U.S. Dollars on any given day.

If there are any Diamondbacks fans here, I would be interested to know if you see any particular price movements that surprise you. This could mean that the price moves in exactly the way you would expect or opposite the way you would expect. This could be games, series of games or major team or player events. Also, I would be interested to hear any comments on the general trends in price.

Here is the link:

http://thenewsportseconomy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/SRI.Arizona.Diamondbacks.2007Season.xls

• Profile picture of Chris Rabalais Chris Rabalais said 3 years, 12 months ago:

Note that the sheet has a table of each daily SRI figure and a separate tab graphing the entire season.

• Profile picture of Chris Rabalais Chris Rabalais said 3 years, 11 months ago:

When discussing how our licensing revenues will be remitted, we decided to settle the entire sum for trading across all teams to the league as a gross amount. The funds would then be distributed according to existing league licensing revenue sharing policy. I can see this becoming a point of serious argument between the owners and the league as revenues grow. The main alternate proposal will be a new regime whereby each team would receive the licensing revenues tied directly to trading in their instruments subject to some sort of ”tax” by the league. The basic positions will closely resemble discussions about our government. The ”democratic” position is lumping all the money together for all teams and remitting to the league to be distributed according to policy. The ”republican” position is to give the revenues directly to each team and put a minimal ”tax” by the league on each team. Each of these is a MAJOR policy direction that will have short and long-term effects on how the SRI functions and the impact it will have on the underlying teams and surrounding economies… not to mention trading patterns…I guarantee you that the day will come when this battle goes out front and center. It will be positively fascinating to see how it all plays out. It will be a tug-of-war between the shifting powers of the league versus the owners. In fact, I bet it will change many times and be under constant surveillance.

regarding:

http://deadspin.com/5615096/mlb-confidential-the-financial-documents-baseball-doesnt-want-you-to-see-part-1

I think it is very important to remember that our index operates on publicly available data and media ratings. Accounting methods and “tricks” change constantly along with tax codes. If we step from the world of measuring team market capitalization (what the SRI essentially does) to validating (mostly private) financial statements and methods, we are going to lose the ball. While I find this information interesting, I believe it is totally irrelevant to the SRI formulation and always will be. What WILL always count is actual team sale transactions. This is something that we tested our model against for accuracy. If we start to find that these sales take place at an unacceptable variance from the SRI values, a formulation adjustment will be in order. However, even this change will not involve measuring against actual financials. Big changes in actual sales prices against our SRI will show that public sales valuation methods have changed materially or the “multiple” has increased or decreased. This is something we must keep an eye on.

My bottom line statement here is that private internal accounting has no bearing on what we are doing with the SRI and it never will (by design).

I have no concerns about the hedging (or any other) economic use of the SRI. Education, simulation, broker briefing, marketing and messaging will drive liquidity. It is not too early to start building that up leading to approval and trading. The regulatory environment is in a state of flux. So, now is not the time to approach with our new innovation. That being said, we can spend this interim period designing and building a robust infrastructure of tools and educational materials and have ready demand going into approval. This demand will further strengthen our case for approval. In the meantime, our patent application matures and hopefully reaches approval about the time we go live. That would be ideal.

I will say this again as I’ve said from go: We are building an industry not just a product offering. My mind has always been there but we should all get on the same mental frame. As far as the patent, I will state again: This will be one of the most (if not the most) economically valuable patents ever awarded. We WILL get paid for our hard work and dedication through the commercial exploitation of our invention directly, licensing fees, patent infringement awards or any combination of these. I see a good 15 years of absolute legal protection. By that time, it won’t matter what competitors enter the space. We will be Coca-Cola… #1 by consumer choice. And, that is as it should be.

• Profile picture of Chris Garcia Chris Garcia said 3 years, 11 months ago:

I’m with you on your comments about internal accounting numbers coming from any of the MLB teams. That shouldn’t have any bearing on the overall picture of the value of the franchise. I think the economy surrounding the franchise is what’s more important. After all the SRI should be used as a hedge for a persons own business…not a hedge on whether the team is making a profit or not. However, if accounting practices are to the point where the team is removed from a league (long shot) then I could see how that could have some bearing. I seriously doubt that would ever happen though.

Yes, I agree Chris.

Think in terms of the stock markets when thinking of the SRI. How often does the market capitalization of an equity match the book value? How often are actual earnings a REAL indicator of value and/or market capitalization?

In our case, as in the equity markets, the SRI should be a forward-looking indicator of the team’s total economic impact (ultimately worldwide). That is not something that will be represented on a team’s (ever changing) internal financial statements.

• Allan said 3 years, 11 months ago:

A few weeks ago I initiated a conversation with Chris about his vision and the direction of efforts to bring the SRI to market. As I’ve mentioned in this forum and others before it, I’ve supported the concept since the SRI was first introduced.

I initiated the conversation because I wanted to impress upon him the importance (as I saw it) of cultivating relationships with the brokerage industry early in the process. Chris agreed, having learned that the movie box office contracts initiative was derailed in part, due to a lack of industry support.

I was impressed with how fluid Chris was able to discuss details of every aspect of the SRI’s development from inception, the transition from ASM, meetings with his legal and economic advisors, MLB, investors, etc. It was clear he had a strong command of the big picture and the potential global impact if executed properly; though he acknowledged and continues to acknowledge he does not have all the answers and he cannot do it alone.

I elected to write a post about our conversation in hopes of inspiring others to contribute their time and talents in any capacity that they think may help bring the SRI to market. As Chris emphasized during our conversation and in a recent post, we must focus on education, development of a trading simulator, broker briefing, marketing and messaging.

It is no small undertaking to create the right educational approach for such a diverse target audience: retail investors/sports fans, institutional investors, brokerage industry, and those in the business of sports.

As a 10 year veteran of the brokerage industry, I volunteered to contribute to the development of the broker briefing document and to make a few high level introductions when the time was right.

Capital is scarce and resources are few. There remains considerable work to be done and frankly, we need all hands on deck.

Please consider what is at stake, assess your skill set and make a contribution of your time and talent. Dare I suggest you have a unique opportunity to take your place in history? What will your contribution be?

• Profile picture of Chris Garcia Chris Garcia said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Although I don’t know who within our community has direct communications with Chris on a regular basis with respect to forward progress of the SRI I’m a bit disappointed in the lack of participation by members who stand to gain substantially should the SRI take off as anticipated. Myself, I’m just as guilty. About all I do is opine on Chris’ comments. Aside from that that’s as far as I’ve gone. I’ll be completely forthright and say I don’t have the skill set needed to make the push forward but as I’ve mentioned to Peebs if there is anything I can do to help please ask. I’ll do what I can.

• Profile picture of Mario Cancio Mario Cancio said 3 years, 11 months ago:

I totally agree with Allan and I believe that if we all make even just a small effort and contribution sharing our ideias, thoughts, talents and/or skills (no matter what’s our past background), brainstorming all togheter, we certainly can get this done.
    As for me, I would like to share an example of an ideia for our primary goals:

http://www.betonmarkets.com

This is a site that can be an example of a trading platform with educational help for the costumers.

• Profile picture of Mario Cancio Mario Cancio said 3 years, 11 months ago:

Chris Garcia is right. I feel the same way and whatever we can do to help, we are doing it for all of us. I think we should all do what we can, even if you think it’s a small contribution.

When the first version of the simulator is released late next month, that will be a good place to start. Gathering multiple perspectives on how to present the SRI and how it trades will be very useful in developing the educational protocol. Again, the velocity of our success will be directly determined by how well (and how easily) we bring the general public up to speed on our new industry and how it operates.

• Profile picture of Chris Rabalais Chris Rabalais said 3 years, 10 months ago:

This was taken from an internal discussion regarding the development of the publishable SRI educational primer document and how to describe what the SRI measures:

Remember that simplicity is beauty.

Our target is the general public. Let’s not beat around the bush. We can play games all day long and talk about hedging, industry use, economic purpose.. blah.. blah.. blah… Mark my words.. that will be a TINY FRACTION of our global trading volume. Why Because if we talk directly to Joe Q. Sixpack in a language that he can understand, he will watch his SRI portfolio just like he watches his T.V. and his fantasy sports teams on his iPhone. Since there are hundreds of millions of Joe Q. Sixpacks, it is just math. Let’s be honest here. The whole economic purpose and industry usage arguments are based on regulatory elements. The winds are clearly blowing back toward stronger rules and this is positioning for that inevitable paradigm shift. Thankfully our product was written to the old standard by the very same guy that wrote the new rules removing it. Hats of to Paul Architzel. That took some serious forward ego-less thinking on his part that went directly to our best interest. Let’s NOT get fouled up by worrying ourselves to death by creating this elaborate case for the regulators based on industry use and hedging only to get approved and have the marketplace YAWWWWWNNN…. when we go live. We’re going to have to fight our way through the regulatory process anyway. So, let’s get what we really want. We saw a live example of what happens when you don’t get industry support (Cantor) so we know where we need to focus. CFTC will approve our contract for trading. Why?: Because Paul Architzel wrote it and he did so to the pre-CFMA2000 standard. We’ve already had it vetted legally and economically by CFTC. The only reason why that won’t happen would be interference from Congress. Congress won’t interfere if we get the “nod” from the industry.. or just plain silence (the latter is what we should expect.. initially)..

Let’s not forget who is driving perception here: WE ARE.

I say lay this down as follows and let the challenges come.. however, defend this position because it means commercial success. Mark my words.

1. The index trades at cash value (multiple of 1)
    2. Margin is 10% (Easy math.. conservative and nobody will seriously hurt themselves trading at 10 to 1.. unlike Forex at 100+ to 1)
    3. Give this a simple name that means market value without setting it in stone. Think of it as a patented “opinion” on the value rather than a firm declaration. The latter is what will upset the teams. An “opinion” will be a matter of debate… and the more debate about the SRI in the media, the more it will trade.
    4. Position reporting over 5,000 contracts (Paul and Sharon both advocated this). This will add serious liquidity to the market and keep down manipulation by big players. Assuming SRI ranges from 100 to 1000, this means that your “hand will be shown” if you hold $500,000 - $5,000,000 in a single SRI (depending on the index). Those figures seem sensible to me. Big players won’t be able to “rule” the market and rob the retail public quite so easily and they will add serious liquidity .. meaning better prices and more “action”.

Run the SRI simulator. 1x and 10% work. There is enough movement to make profits/losses outside the commissions. That commission figure of $2.40 per side is conservative. This setup works.

Joe Q. Public example 1:

“Hey Joe.. check this out… ”
    “Check what out?”
    “There is this new way to invest (but not really) in sports teams called the SportsRiskIndex”
    “Invest.. but not really.. huh?”
    “Yeah.. the SRI is an industry hedging tool that can be used on more than an occasional basis to mitigate risk”
    “Hedging.. mitigation..” (..eyes begin to glass over)
    “Yeah, you see the SRI measures relative current and forward earning power quoted in millions of dollars.. it’s like a “market capitalization”.. but not really”
    “… uh…” (.. getting sleepy)
    “If you want to buy or sell one, you open an account with a futures broker and complete 14 pages of financial information like a mortgage application. Then when you are done, you can buy or short these contracts on margin. Monday through Wednesday the margin is 12.5% meaning that you divide the contract price by 8.. Thursday and Friday, the margin is 15.7% meaning that you divide the contract price by 6.3694… Oh.. don’t worry we have an online tool to help you manage your profits and losses. Nobody can handle this stuff in their head”
    - THUD — (Joe’s head hits the table)

Joe Q. Public example 2:

“Hey Joe.. check this out”
    “Check out what?”
    “There is a way you can “invest” in sports teams legally”
    “Really?”
    “Yes, it is called the SportsRiskIndex. It is like a stock market for sports”
    “Wow.. a stock market for sports.. cool.. how does it work?”
    “Each team has a price like a stock price and the number means about how much the team is worth in millions”
    “Ah… I see… ”
    “So, if a team is quoted at 500, that means they are worth about $500 million dollars”
    “WOW.. that IS cool”
    “And, check this out… you can buy 1 “share” for 1/10th of the value..”
    “So.. I would pay $50.. right?”
    “Exactly”
    “Now.. here is the best part.. each day the value is published and your account is adjusted up or down according to the change in the value. So, if the number goes to 505, your account is credited the FULL $5.. even though you only paid 10%. Of course.. the same holds true if the number goes down 5. $5 will be subtracted from your account.. and this happens EVERY trading day as long as you still own the contract!”
    “Wow.. cool… where do I sign up?”

Believe me… example #2 will be hard enough.
    Always begin with the end in mind. Joe Q. Public (global) is our target.

I believe our reach is equal to Facebook if we create and execute our strategy carefully. They have 500 million users now and will make it to a billion and beyond. When my wife told me that her relatives that live literally in the middle of the jungle had Facebook accounts (they recently got telephone service… no lie), that did it for me. There is no stopping the social network transformation of planet Earth. Period. On top of this, they are looking to deploy a virtual currency system for wide use. This thing is becoming scary big. Watch their moves and “model” as much as possible. “Success leaves clues”.

Now… these kids in the middle of the jungle also have another passion… sports.. and guess what? They understand math at a pretty high level… certainly well beyond simple multiplication, division, addition and subtraction.

Facebook + Facebook Dollars + Sports.. hmm…

Copyright © - 2014 Crystal World Holdings, Inc. All Rights Reserved.