The Evolution of Sports & Finance.

Collaborate with the architects of the world’s first and only regulated “sports stock market”. Learn to trade the SportsRiskIndex and build your SportsFolio.

Already a member?

Remember Me

Group avatar

Admins

Members (43) See All →

Group Admins

Welcome Back

Public Group active 4 months, 1 week ago

Drop in, say hello and reconnect with past friends and acquaintances.

Why do you love sports? (8 posts)

← Group Forum   Group Forum Directory
  • Avatar Image Chris Rabalais said 1 year ago:

Please share the reasons why you love sports.

This is a real question. Not being a sports fan myself, I am trying to understand the deeper psychology behind this social phenomenon. The reason I am asking is to better develop our marketing and educational messages. So, please chime in. This is a serious attempt to understand in the interest of doing a better job promoting our project.

• Avatar Image Chris Garcia said 1 year ago:

I don’t keep up with a whole lot of sports aside from NBA and NFL. Some college ball maybe but not much. The competitive nature of the sport is what I really enjoy. As one person once said “The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat”. Smack talking with folks who love a specific team is great! :-) I also enjoy playing fantasy football. Overall though it’s the recreational aspect of sports I enjoy. It’s time away from the real world such as work, life and politics. I can focus my attention and be entertained watching my favorite team play or watch the team I hate lose.

• Avatar Image Irvin McCoy said 1 year ago:

If you really want to understand the psychology of sports you probably should study the history of games in all different societies and how serious they took them. It is believed that in the Mayan culture the losers were sacrificed to the gods. In Greece, the winners were treated as gods. And in our society, we give the winners fame & fortune. So as spectators, we are living vicariously through these athletes and dreaming “what if?”

So why do we choose the sports we do? I think that’s as simple as where you grew up. If you grow up playing soccer, then you’re interested in soccer. Same with football, baseball, or cricket.

But why do we play? This could be a question for a doctoral dissertation. The most obvious reason is that it satisfies our need for competition. Why do we have that need? I have no idea. But the more compelling reason we play I believe is that sports teach ‘Life Leasons.” They teach that it takes hard work & discipline to be successful. They also teach that you will not always win, but when you lose you come back, practice more, & try again. They teach you not to quit just because it’s hard. They also teach leadership & teamwork skills. All these skills you use throughout your life.

Sports have been instrumental in changing our society for the better. Sports were very important in integration in the South. When white players started standing beside their African American teammates, it was only a matter of time before society followed.

There are many movies that portray these benefits. One of the best is ‘Remember the Titans’. Movies from other sports include ‘Hoosiers’, Chariot’s of Fire’, ‘Rocky’, & ‘Field of Dreams’. Watch any of these and you’ll understand it’s not just about fame & fortune.

What does adding money do to the equation?

How does betting feel versus investing (meaning ASM for the sake of discussion)?

• Avatar Image Jonny Paul Wiik said 1 year ago:

I belive I love sports because it is about ordinary people creating extraordinary moments.
    It is about passion.

What do you think happens when money is (legally) added to the equation?

• Brett said 9 months, 1 week ago:

I love all sports as well. I think it creats a great opportunity when money is legally involved.